Monday, August 30, 2010

Funnel Cake Cupcakes!

Inspired by the Funnel Cakes at the Cheatham County Fair this past weekend, I decided to try and make a Funnel Cake Cupcake!(Recipe below) I used a vanilla cake batter (with a little extra vanilla added in) and a vanilla butter cream icing, then I made small funnel cakes dusted with powdered sugar to top the cupcakes with.

The mixing/baking of the cupcakes and icing went by pretty smooth. I used a new recipe for the cupcake batter and icing. On to the funnel cakes. Now, I have never ever even attempted to make a funnel cake before. I am not a fan of boiling hot oil. I definitely don't enjoy cooking bacon because of all the popping and what not. So.....I put on a long sleeve shirt and an "Ov Glove"-just as a precaution. Yes. I am afraid of being burned. No. Its not a good feeling.




The first "mini" funnel cake did not turn out as I had expected. The oil was apparently too hot. So I turned back the heat, and waited a few minutes. The recipe said to use tongs to turn and remove the cakes from the oil. But, I decided I would work with what I had. The metal spatula with slits that I decided to use created some unnecessary splashing. If I ever make funnel cakes again I will be more prepared. All in all I was happy with my little funnel cakes. They turned out as little and cute as I hoped.


Now I was under the impression that these things would be much more crisp than they turned out to be. But-I would be wrong. I let them sit for a minute thinking they would harden in the air-but they never really "hardened". They still tasted very much like funnel cake though. The cupcake recipe I used was a heavier cake and turned out to taste like an angel food cake, or a pound cake. Not bad, but not what I thought it would turn out like. I may have over mixed it.....

I usually use margarine and Crisco in my butter cream frosting, but this time I used real butter and Crisco. The real butter gave the icing a different taste-once again, not bad-but not what I expected. I will probably be going back to the icing and cake recipe I am used to. But hey. This is what this is all about. Trial and Error. I went ahead and had my fun decorating and came out with the following:


     
All in all, this was far from the best cupcake I have ever made. But it still had good flavor. Now off to bed so I can bring these into work tomorrow and see what the critics think!




Vanilla Cupcake:


Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
2 cups sugar
4 large eggs, at room temperature
1 cup milk
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Line 2 (1/2 cup-12 capacity) muffin tins with cupcake papers.

In a small bowl, combine the flours. Set aside.

In a large bowl, on the medium speed of an electric mixer, cream the butter until smooth. Add the sugar gradually and beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the dry ingredients in 3 parts, alternating with the milk and vanilla. With each addition, beat until the ingredients are incorporated but do not over beat. Using a rubber spatula, scrape down the batter in the bowl to make sure the ingredients are well blended. Carefully spoon the batter into the cupcake liners, filling them about 3/4 full. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center of the cupcake comes out clean.
Vanilla Butter cream Icing
Ingredients:

2 sticks butter
1 cup Crisco
2 pounds Powdered Sugar
2-3 Tbs Milk
1 1/2 Tsp Vanilla

Directions:
Cream the butter and Crisco together on a low speed until blended well. Gradually add the sugar alternate adding the milk and vanilla a little at a time as the icing stiffens until you reach a good consistency.

Funnel Cake

Ingredients:

1 egg
2/3 cup milk
2 tbs. sugar
1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder

Directions:

Beat the eggs, then add the sugar and milk. Sift 2 cups of flour, the salt, and the baking powder and add to the milk, sugar, and egg mixture.


Mix while adding more flour until the batter is smooth and not too thick. The funnel should have an opening of at least 1/2 inch and be able to hold around a cup of batter. Put your finger over the bottom and add about a cup of batter. Remove your finger and allow the batter to pour into the center of the oil. Be careful, the oil may splash!

Gradually swirl the batter outward in a circular motion, or criss-cross back and forth to make a cake about 7 or 8 inches round.

Check it with a pair of tongs and turn it when the bottom becomes golden brown.

When both sides are done, remove with tongs and let it drip on a paper towel.

Funnel cake is often served with powdered sugar on top.

2 comments:

  1. Allison, these look sooo good! I'm so excited you are doing this!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks sweetie! I will have to ship some to Texas!

    ReplyDelete